Friday, May 9, 2008

"Truffle, Shuffle! Truffle, Shuffle!" - Chunk, Goonies

As promised I put my Windows Media Player on Shuffle and here's what I came up with!



1. Purple Rain, Prince- This song reminds me of one man and one man only, and that's Jo Jo. Let me tell you a little bit about him. Jo Jo is this black guy at karaoke that always wears a Kangol beret and turns everything into a soul song, mainly "Give Me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman and "Purple Rain". He also repeatedly performs "My Girl" by the temptations, Mustang Sally, and "Steam Roller" by James Taylor. And if you play the harmonica, holy crap! get ready to play that thing all night because Jo Jo eats that stuff up! I'm not exactly sure what Jo Jo does all day, I know he must be independently wealthy, because he's a big gambler, he also told me once he used to teach dance back in the 70's. Most of Jo Jo's life remains a mystery to me, but the one thing I do know he loves soulful music, and he loves to hit on skanky girls!



2. Final Countdown, Europe- I think it's undeniable, the beginning of this song has got to be the catchiest series of notes ever put in a song! Who ever came up with that little synthesizer bit was a bit of a genius! Every time I hear it, it gets stuck in my head. The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear this song is the Big Bend Basketball team and how they have started every game with this song since I've been going to games, and even way before then most likely. That dude that does the music for the games really holds on to the classics and will not let them go. I mean a lot of hits have come and gone, but I guess nothing can replace jams like Final Countdown, Space Jam, and the entire soundtrack of Footloose



3. Someone Like You, from Jekyl and Hyde- Gay semester 2004 was the semester at college I met every gay man at BYUI, it was also the same semester I met "Boss". Sister Bossard was my instructor for the Belt/Pop voice technique class I took, She was an amazingly eccentric lady, she dyed her hair crazy colors, she wore a lot of crazy prints or sequins and would sing entire conversations with people. The first time I ever heard her utter anything was when she waltzed into class that first day singing at the top of her lungs "Howya Doin' did you miss MEEEEEEE!" and she had a really whiny Mom from "All in the Family" voice, (I do a great impression if you ever wanna hear). Anyway this song, for ever and always reminds me of her mainly because we spent so much time listening to it an singing it, almost as much time as we spent watching "Kiss me Kate" and admiring how they got the biggest mouths in the biz to perform in the updated version we watched. It was the easiest "A" I ever received, and even though most of the time we goofed off I still remember a lot of stuff she taught me, she was a cool lady, and I secretly want to be her one day! And every time I hear that song I hear her bright and nasally voice and it puts a smile on my voice.



4. Boom Like I Do, Blaque- The first time I heard this song was at my super fantastic 16Th birthday I shared with my buddy Katie Jensen now Katie Reese. It was possibly the most glorious birthday celebration of all time complete with poofy pink dresses for Katie and I, except mine didn't turn out so classy and nor did my hair, but the party was awesome lots of friends, lots of food, and lots of presents!!!! It was glorious!



5.Angel, Sara Mchlauchlin- This song made me want to learn how to play the piano, and for a long, long time I thought it was the prettiest song I had ever heard! Sarah really knew how to write a song, and even though I still really don't understand what "building a mystery" is all about, the whole "Surfacing" album was fantastic and still tops my list of most favorite albums!



6. Gone, N*Sync- Justin Timberlake wrote this song with Wade Robinson, and so it makes me think of them, and if you ask me I think it was Wade that Britney cheated on Justin with, thus spawning the other favorite Justin Jam "Cry Me a River"! Think about. . . . Wade did Choreography for N*Sync and was a Tour manager for Britney, and him and Justin where BFF's and then him and Britney broke up and they have nothing to do with each other. . . . . . are you picking up on what I'm putting out there?



There where others, but I'm kind of memoried out. . . . . .maybe another time when I'm blog less I'll try it again!

This weekend should be a doozy! Lots of plans, so hopefully lots to talk about! Plus it's AmeriCorps week next week, so I should not leave you with out anything to entertain yourself with!!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mommy's!!!!

Peace!